Pages

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Basement Renovation: Trim, Cabinets, Bathroom & Shelving

It has been so long (4 MONTHS!) since a basement post that I don't even know where I left off! After a LONG hiatus, we are back at it and hauling ass to get it finished in the next month or so before the holidays and baby shower. 

Let's see what was on the To-do list back in June when I last posted. 

1) Finish trim
2) Hang bi-fold doors
3) Caulk nail holes & trim
4) Paint & hang quarter round
5) Paint trim and doors
6) Set Cabinets
7) Install Vanity, Mirror and Toilet in bathroom.
8) Finish and install window boxes and frame windows
9) Build and install shelving units 
10) Install stair railing.
11) Build and install the bookshelves
12) Install fireplace
13) Counter top

Okay - well that is quiet the list! Where to begin... I guess #1!

1) Finish the trim - Check! We have "finished the trim" and I use the quotes because all the trim is hung that can be hung at this time. We will still have to put up trim around the stairs once those are finished (I guess I should add that to the to-do list....)


2) Hang bi-fold doors - Not so much, still waiting to be hung... 

3) Caulk nail holes and trim - Check! Again, this is "finished" until more trim goes up around the stairs! 

4) Paint & hang quarter round - Check! This is actually really finished not just "kinda" finished! 


5) Paint trim & doors - Another fail, but this is on the MUST DO THIS WEEK list! The trim is half painted and the doors are half painted. We just have to finish it up. In my next post, which I promise won't be 4 months from now, this will have a big fat check next to it! And we will be doing a major happy dance because this trim has been the devil's advocate this summer and I fully blame it for our 4 month break! (until we have more to do on the stairs.... AHH!)

6) Set cabinets - Check! And they look amazing! 



7) Install Vanity, Mirror and Toilet in bathroom - Check, kind of! The bathroom is officially done except the mirror still needs hung and framed!



8) Finish and install window boxes and frame windows - Check! These also look awesome! I am really glad that we went with the glass block windows! I think that it looks really nice! 



9) Build and install shelving units - Check! These are my absolute favorite! My dad made these from scratch and stained them himself with a special stain that he had matched to our bar cabinets. They look absolutely amazing and with glass shelves and the lights shinning down on them it's going to be stunning! 


10) Install stair railing & finish stairs - Not done yet, it's on the needs to be done soon list though, but isn't everything at this point?!

11) Build and install the bookshelves - Check! These are super cool! not only do they look awesome but the hide-away door is sweet! Again my dad built the top portion of the bookshelves from scratch and matched the stain to the cabinets. He's awesome... 


12) Install fireplace - Check! =)


13) Counter top - Not done yet! =(

So after reviewing this list, we have gotten more accomplished this summer than I thought! There still seems to be sooo much more to do still though! As you can tell, everything is really, really dusty but I'm not even thinking about cleaning anything at this point because it will end up dirty again exactly 4.6 seconds after I clean it! We also need to spray for bugs before carpet goes down, there are SO many spiders! Yuck I don't even wanna think about it!! 

Here is the new to-do list with the deadline of November 17th! Once all this is done, I THINK we will be finished with the construction and just need to furnish, which is far down the road, once the finances replenish themselves! 

What's next? 
1) Hang bi-fold doors
2) Paint trim and doors
3) Install stair railing.
4) Bar counter top, sink, faucet
5) Finish stairs: backs, trim, caulking & paint
6) Hang mirror, frame: caulk & paint frame
7) Finish electrical & lighting: fireplace, bookshelves, face plates, outlets..etc
8) Finish fireplace wall: stone and mantle
9) Touch up paint
10) Carpet install
11) Organize storage room
12) CLEAN!!!
These next ones don't necessarily have to be done by November 17th but it would be nice! 
13) Back splash
14) Bar shelves
15) Find/install covers for the holes in the wall for the water shut off, plumping access and circuit breaker. 
16) Buy and install fan in playroom. 

This Weeks  Summers Costs
Misc. Bar Cabinetry things - $370
Bathroom Vanity - $170 
Bathroom Sink - $120
Faucet - $70
Caulking things - $19
More trim - $26
Misc things (I'm sure I've lost a couple receipts over the last 4 months)- $100
Electrical & lighting - $85
Built-in cabinetry - $490

Free Things that were we already had
Labor
Nail gun
Nails
Saw

Much, much more!

This weeks total - $1,450

Project total - $9,325

Things I learned this week summer:  I JUST WANT IT TO BE FINISHED ALREADY!!! 

I am not a professional and all my advice and tips are purely from my own experiences. 

No comments:

Post a Comment