Pages

Thursday, February 21, 2013

2012 Book List: Recap

If you know anything about me, you know I love to read. So I thought I would share, for those who are looking for a good book (or one to stay away from). Today I'm going to post the books I read in 2012 with a small review. For 2013 I will try to post the reviews as I finish the books. I have a HUGE book list for 2013. And although I'm so excited to read them all that I can't decide what to read next, it can be a little overwhelming with all those books on my shelf! So having this little forum will keep me motivated and reading!

I read 11 books last year (that I can remember). As you will see, I love series books. Especially ones that were made into movies. Don't worry there are NO SPOILERS!

(Not pictured: Bossypants by Tina Fey)

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson


   This book was recommended to my by a couple of friends and with the movie It is a mystery novel, originally written in Swedish. I was absolutely consumed by the story and read the book in nearly 4 days. Although confusing at times, (a friend of mine actually took notes so she could remember who everyone was), this was an amazing book. There are many characters to keep straight, many with confusing and unusual names (again it is originally a Swedish book). If you can get past the hard to pronounce names and places, the story line is riveting! The story line: A journalist (Mikael) gets commissioned to investigate a rich man's family mystery. Along the way he meets a woman (Lisbeth) and they develop an unusual relationship while delving deeper into the mystery of a missing girl. You literally can't put it down, you need to know what happens next.
Overall: highly recommend

The Girl who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson


This is the sequel to The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I was anxious to read this book after reading the first one and loving it. Again, you have to get past the hard to pronounce names and places. I did like this book. However, it was my least favorite book of the trilogy. This book involved a lot of back story that is needed for the third book. There wasn't much action until the very end of the book. You finally get to the climax of the book and it ends! Although it involves the same characters as the first book, it is a completely new story. Storyline: Lisbeth is suspected of murder and she goes on the run. Mikael believes her innocent and works to prove it. In the meantime, he uncovers some secrets about Lisbeth's past. It is a very well written book and like I said it's necessary for the series. It keeps you on your toes, although there is not much action, you can't put it down waiting to find out what will happen next.
Overall: Recommended

The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson


Obviously, this is the third book in the trilogy. This was also my FAVORITE book of the series. As mentioned before, the names and places are confusing and hard to keep track of, but by now you've come up with nicknames for them all (Mike and Liz?). The entire book has you on the edge of your seat and the end is A-MAZ-ING! The story line: This book picks up where the last one leaves off. Mikael works with police and secret services to prove Lisbeth is innocent and also bring down a corrupt government agency. It keeps you reading and you are so in love with the characters you are rooting for them the whole time!  It is chalked full of action, suspense and MANY surprises!
Overall: Highly recommend

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen


Are you sensing a theme that I like books that are made into movies? This book was actually recommended to me by a friend and I didn't know it was made into a movie until I bought the book (actually a Christmas gift) and saw the cover. This was such a sweet book. Its a romance/drama but nothing like those grocery store romances. Storyline: A boy runs away from veterinary school (Jacob) and joins the circus where he meets Marlena. They have to train a new elephant that the circus has acquired. Jacob, being a vet student, is required to take care of the animal. Marlena is the talent. He and Marlena try to hide their romance from her abusive husband. The narrator is elderly Jacob. It often flashes back and forth between him as an old man in a nursing home and his younger self. It's a really cute story and well written.
Overall: Highly recommend 

I am Legend by Richard Matheson


This is one of the few books that I read AFTER seeing the movie. Only because I didn't know it was a book until recently. I absolutely LOVE the movie. Therefore, I could not get through this book. I, honestly, don't know how they could say the movie was based on the book when they are NOTHING alike. I got about 5 chapters in and I couldn't go any further. I probably didn't read enough to give this a review but I did not like it. The vampires are like real people, they talk and interact with the main character (Dr. Neville). The women vampires even seduce him. It was all very weird. I probably couldn't get into it because I liked the movie so much and wanted it to be like that. (See this is why I like to read the book first!) Storyline: Dr. Neville is the last remaining human after disease turns everyone into a vampire.
Overall: I didn't get more than 5 chapters in before I knew I didn't like it.

 The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


The next series that I decided to read was the Hunger Games. The upcoming (at the time) movie release also prompted me to read this. So, I hurried to read this one before it came out in theatres, too. The story line in this series is a little difficult to swallow. It's set in future America (called Panem) where wars have torn the country apart. It is now separated into the Capital where all the well off people live and The Districts where those that caused the unrest live in poverty. Every year, 1 boy and 1 girl are selected from each district to compete in the Hunger Games, which is a fight to the death. It is put on TV where all of the country can watch, as a lesson to the Districts. The premise is hard to get past if you really think about it (kids killing kids on live TV). But, if you can get past it and look at it as purely fiction, it is a great book. You can't help but root for Katniss and Peeta as they play out their fate in "the games". You find yourself feeling all the emotions that Katniss feels.
Overall: Highly recommend

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins


This is the second installment in the Hunger Games series. Catching Fire picks up where The Hunger Games left off.  This was probably my favorite book of the series. I read this book in about 4 days while on vacation. Storyline: On the verge of another uprising, Katniss is challenged with another Hunger Games appearance. Here she meets all kinds of new people. Katniss is more knowledgeable about what actually goes on in The Capital and the districts now. She struggles with wanting to be apart of the uprising and knowing that that would cause harm to her family and friends. This novel is full of action and strategy and surprises! You have to keep reading to find out what happens next, so you can't put it down.
Overall: Highly recommend

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins


Obviously this is the last book in the Hunger Games trilogy. This was my least favorite book. I didn't care for how it ended. Storyline: Katniss and Peeta have been separated. He was taken by the Capital, while Katniss was rescued other rebels. Katniss tries to rescue Peeta while The Capital is trying to plot Peeta against Katniss. There is a battle/fight scene and some action. All in all I was underwhelmed and I hated the ending. It definitely kept you reading because you needed to know what happens next but then you get there and your disappointed (at least I was). Overall: You have to read it to finish the trilogy but you should just make up your own ending and be happier! =)

Wicked by Gregory Maguire


I was really excited to read this books in hopes of seeing the musical someday. I have heard amazing things about the musical and I love the songs (that I've heard on Glee). So, I started this book with high expectations. I was seriously disappointed. Storyline: Extremely boring Life story of the wicked witch. Don't get me wrong it's written well. But it drags on and on. There is no action what so ever. I read about 3/4 of the book and I literally couldn't keep my eyes open, so I put it back on the shelf. I read some other reviews of this book and most people felt the way that I did. There were a few that liked it based on how well it was written. But, for me if it's not at least a little interesting, I don't care how well it's written.
Overall: Really boring

The Help by Kathryn Stockett


This book (another book made into a movie) was recommended by several friends. It was a quick read. It's very inspirational and definitely a story about the underdog. The characters are witty and fun to learn about. Storyline: A journalist (Skeeter) in Mississippi in the 60s is trying to get a job at a big NYC journal. She is told to write about what she knows. So, she decides to interview the help (the black women that the white families hire to watch their children and clean their house). She uncovers the real people behind the help and works toward justice for them during a time of injustice. It's definitely a feel good story. Overall: Highly Recommend

Bossypants by Tina Fey


I love Tina Fey. I think she is hilarious! This is a semi-life story/semi-advice book she wrote. It is super funny. Full of one liners and good humored advice. It's also a kind-of biography which is cool to learn her background. It's good for a laugh or two. I'll leave you with this quote: "Now every girl is expected to have Caucasian blue eyes, full Spanish lips, a classic button nose, hairless Asian skin with a California tan, a Jamaican dance hall ass, long Swedish legs, small Japanese feet, the abs of a lesbian gym owner, the hips of a nine-year-old boy, the arms of Michelle Obama, and doll tits. The person closest to actually achieving this look is Kim Kardashian, who, as we know, was made by Russian scientists to sabotage our athletes."
Overall: Read it, it's funny!

So my taste in books varies from mystery, inspirational, teen-drama, non-fiction and biography. I really will try anything (except grocery store romances, vomit). It just has to be able to keep my attention or I will give up and not want to read it. I have started reading my 2013 books! I'm really into the one I'm reading now, you'll have to wait for that post to find out! Yay for books! Let me know if you read any of the books above, and what you thought. Or if you have any book suggestions for me! =)


No comments:

Post a Comment